Thursday, October 11, 2007

This post lacks a unifying theme

Almost every letter I seem to get from home talks about the weather, so maybe I will give some insight into my weather.


I woke up this morning to pattering on my tin roof. If starts off soft but steady, and progressively gets harder to a level of sound you just cant sleep through. The rain blows what is left of the warm air from outside through my windows and it soon begins to cools off. I’m smiling as I wake up and look around for someone to share this peaceful moment with. There is nobody(of course). I lay in bed and forgo the morning run in order to revel alone in the welcomed change in weather and the rain I love so. Just as I begin to get excited for a rainy day at home, the rain stops. But it carries on in maybe 30 minute intervals throughout the day


So that was actually yesterday morning. This morning it is once again sweltering! It is so hot these days that even a light cotton sheet seem to be too much cover at night. This isn’t even the worst of it. Supposedly come November/December is when shit really hits the fan. Not looking forward to it. The weather is really quite ridiculous and rather unpredictable. One day it will be cool(enough to put on a light long sleeve shirt in the evenings) and other times, I am trying to see how little I can wear and still be societally appropriate.

I went on an amazing adventure last weekend, but unfortunately all I can really say for now is that I have gathered just one more great story to add to my book of life. What else can I say- I successfully retrieved my computers from Tanzania, the sun is strong when you are out in it 3 days straight, my kiswahili is ok enough to talk myself out of some potentially sketch situations, Mt Kilimanjaro is GORGEOUS and I found the most brilliantly blue fresh water lake but could not swim in it because it was infested with crocodiles. The rest will have to wait until I am out of Peace Corps to share. I have a feeling I will have a bunch of such stories that we can share over cocktails in a few years. [Its funny how I miss fine things like a fancy cocktail in a chic bar(which I rarely frequented in the states anyhow…dive bars…mmmm), the sophistication of a wine glass, pencils skirts and pumps. Man, I’m gonna stop this tangent now…]

3 comments:

Nick Santos said...

You make Griffin Lounge sound boring. Definitely no crocodiles in here. Just quiet people.

Jessica S. said...

Oh my god I'm on the edge of my seat! I want to hear ALL ABOUT this adventure!!!!

And so sorry about the heat!! LOL! It's raining in Sac today... But sunshine is expected for the weekend.

Peace my lady!

Anonymous said...

raining here rachel. i chilly steady pour and i'm reading elinor ostrom's managing the commons books. how i wish i was in africa with you sharing in your adventures. thinking about a great hookah night with you...i would love to see you in kenya...maybe i'll find a way to get there:)